EXCELIVING – Excellent Living Environments
Our habitats can either strengthen or weaken our mental and physical health. The EXCELIVING project aims to solve challenges in the overall habitat value chain and contribute to create healthy, age-friendly and sustainable living environments. The project must also enhance innovation opportunities and expertise within cluster management and interregional cooperation.
Habitats are spaces created by humans in which individuals live, sleep, eat, work, study, shop, and enjoy culture and entertainment etc.
In European countries, people spend more than 90 percent of their time indoors.
The current global trends, including demographic changes and the Covid- 19 pandemic and increased awareness of environmental sustainability, have revealed the close relationship between habitats and health status, as habitats can both improve and strengthen the mental and physical conditions of humans.
Purpose of the project
The project aims to solve the challenges faced by the habitat value chains and thereby promote a supportive ecosystem that can make European value chains competitive in promoting healthy, age-friendly, and sustainable spaces and buildings globally. Furthermore, the project aims at creating innovation opportunities and reinforcing capacities in cluster management and interregional cooperation among project partners.
The EXCELIVING project focuses on habitats via cross-sectoral dimensions: home automation, welfare technology, lighting, furniture and building materials. In this way, EXCELIVING promotes a holistic perspective of habitat value chains, focusing on elements that have a direct impact on the promotion of healthy, age-friendly, and sustainable environments:
- Accessibility and age-friendly environment
- Digital health and assisted living
- Ecological and sustainable materials and components
- Sustainable and healthy building materials
- Sustainable furniture
- Efficient and sustainable construction of residential environments (e.g., air quality, lighting, noise protection) to ensure physical and mental health among residents.
Read more about the project and partners in this video
Activities in the project
- B2B, matchmaking and events
- Training program for SMEs
- Exchange program to Portugal, Spain and Romania for SMEs, clusters, and public sector actors.
Autumn 2022 – Exchange visit to Portugal
Join EXCELIVING’s first exchange visit to Portugal (Aveiro) in late summer 2022. Here, the project partners and up to 20 network partners gather for some exciting days of inspiration, networking and ample opportunity to form new business partnerships. The theme of the trip to Portugal is: “Built environments for an active, healthy and safe lifestyle” and it offers several matchmaking sessions with participants from Spain, Portugal and Romania. If your organization (private or public) works to create healthy, age-friendly and sustainable living environments, please contact us for more information of the visit.
The project’s mission is to raise awareness of challenges related to habitats. The project partners wish to promote a multi-stakeholder perspective and share best practices and expertise.
The project aspires to be a cross-sectoral value chain for healthy, age-friendly, and sustainable habitats, and will work toward a future with:
- Healthy and sustainable buildings, furniture, materials, and components
- Energy efficiency and sustainable living environments
- Improved quality of life for seniors and others who rely on external care.
- Increased comfort, safety, and quality of life in residential environments
- A strengthening of the role of industry clusters as the primary driving force for the transformation of the European habitat value chains towards a greener, more intelligent, age-friendly, and more competitive European habitat industry.
What are the benefits for you in the project?
- Cross-sector understanding of the work to improve European habitats – and the potential for new partnerships from other industries and European countries
- Gain new knowledge about European perspectives on habitat challenges and how we can address them, as both private and public sector actors.
- Networking and matchmaking opportunities with company and public institutions in Portugal, Spain and Romania
- Centro Habitat – The Sustainable Habitat Cluster (Portugal)
- Habitat Cluster Barcelona / CENFIM (Spanien) – Lead Partner
- Transylvanian Furniture Cluster (Rumænien)
- Smartech Cluster (Spanien)
- Danish Life Science Cluster (Danmark)
EXCELIVING is supported by the COSME program through the European Union and runs from February 2022 – March 2024.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Cluster Excellence Programme with ClusterXchange scheme connecting ecosystems and cities (COS-CLUSTER-2020-3-03) under Grant Agreement no. 101037887.
The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the European Innovation Council and SMEs Executive Agency (EISMEA) or any other body of European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for the use that may be made of the information it contains.